Wednesday 9 May 2012

I'm Reading: Historical Fiction

As Luke so kindly pointed out, yes it has taken me a while to start on the book he generously lent me. But it's not like I didn't have other things to do! (I've started now. And hey, I still haven't finished the Women Of Marvel graphic novel I'm supposed to be reading to make my boyfriend think I'm interested in what he's interested in. Bros before bfs.)

Over Easter, there was a massive book sale happening at the Showgrounds. (I suspect Borders may have had something to do with it.) It had zero books by authors I read but I still came away with five or so books. (For $20. Bargain.) The only one I've read so far was Philippa Gregory's The White Queen.

The part where Luke may have a problem: I also borrowed from the library and read The Queen's Fool and now have The Red Queen waiting for me.

I love finding an author others have (presumably) known about for ages. Did you know, there's this author, right? And she writes about, like, kings and queens and stuff? From the olden days? It's awesome!

I knew the name from seeing the movie The Other Boleyn Girl, but turns out she's written a ton of other books, and they follow the royals all the way through the 15th and 16th Centuries. It's like she knew we wouldn't be paying attention in high school History class (supposing they taught us Tudor history, which they didn't). When this semester (or this month's challenge!) is over, I will be getting right into all her books, in order, and possibly into The Tudors on TV. And I plan to draw a Tudor family tree all over my bedroom wall so I can keep all the Henrys and Elizabeths straight.

Since this is a newly-discovered genre for me, anyone have any recommendations of other authors for me? (Lord knows I don't have enough to read!)

No comments:

Post a Comment